Under 13s

ManagerPhone No.E-MailLeague
Terry Jolly07879 401 524jollyt4@sky.comKYL

Match Report | Focus Football 5 Erith Town 9

01/12/2019 – London Cup, Round 3

Early cold meet for the boys today with a 10 o’clock kick off over in North London against a team we knew nothing about. Match cards sorted and the game was under way with some neat initial passing from the boys which resulted in a quick goal for us with a nice ball into the feet of Devito from Sanford where he stepped around the keeper and slotted home to put Erith 1-0 up on 3 minutes.

It was here the game took a strange turn, after noticing the ball go out of play and the referee wave play on I realised that we had no linesman in place! I alerted the referee to which he replied “I don’t need linesman and they are not needed at this age if football” ???

We were playing 11-a-side for the first year and had had linesman at 9-a-side for the previous 2 years but now we were being told that they aren’t needed… and this is where the first FF goal came from. Our boys stopped playing because the call was out of play and they carried on, spilt our defence, and all of sudden they were level 1-1 on 8 minutes.

The referee’s decisions were poor all day but I don’t want to talk any more about them – you get the picture.

The goal clearly shocked the boys and they didn’t react particularly well with FF having the better of the play for the next 20 or so minutes. In the 30th minute though, the half got worse for us. We were awarded a corner by the referee and as it was taken Cordaroy fell to floor, looking to be in some pain, seemingly to his quad, high up by the hip, and he could no longer carry on. We ended up down to 10 boys as we had no subs. Focus Football were allowed too much of the ball and made a lovely pass over the top of the Erith back line to their quick striker who banged home and to give them a 2-1 lead which they held onto until half time.

HT – Focus Football 2-1 Erith Town

After a long chat with the referee at half time it was clear he wasn’t about to change his mind about the linesman situation. We had a chat with the boys and we let them know that the level of performance that they had showed – regardless of the referee’s decisions – was not good enough by the standards I set, and they set themselves.

We lined up for the second half and the boys kicked off and showed early on that they were ready for the fight. Straight away the passing looked better and if the ball was lost it was hunted back down. A nice little exchange of passes between the midfield into the feet of Devito who dropped the ball off nicely for Sanford to strike first time just outside of the box saw the ball fly into the net for 2-2 on 39 minutes. The boys went looking for the ball again straight from the kick off pressing in all the right areas and forcing mistakes from FF resulting in another ball driven across the box, this time from Sanford from the left, for the in-rushing Sanford to smash home on 41 minutes for his brace and put Erith ahead 3-2.

From here it became a bit of an onslaught with the boys growing in confidence. Again some good passing between the boys, and Lewis, causing havoc down the left, slipped a pass inside to Devito who let the ball run across his body and wrapped his foot around it from distance into the back of the net – 4-2 Erith Town, 43 minutes played, and another brace, this time for Devito.

The next few minutes were a bit of a blur with Sanford striking again from long range on 44 minutes for Erith’s 5th and his hat-trick, quickly followed by Devito whose lovely quick right hand shift of the ball past the defender to create himself half a yard, brought another lovely strike from outside the box on 46 min and the 2nd hat-trick of the game making it 6-2 Erith Town.

Unfortunately complacency set-in and The Dockers were caught off-guard and sleeping in the 52nd minute when FF got their 3rd of the game, but a positive rally quickly saw Erith back in control of the game with Lewis, after all his hard work in the 2nd half, break the defensive line with a ball from Devito that saw him cooly slot home his first and the 7th of the game on 55 minutes. Only a minute later the ball was back up by our box, near the touch line, and was being held up well by Muttett who was fouled. It wasn’t given but as he went over he fell into the FF lad who had just fouled him, and the ref blew for a penalty in their favour! You know it’s a poor decision when the oppositions coach is saying you should of had a foul there first and their own parents are laughing at the refs decision. Nevertheless the penalty was awarded and the FF lad stepped up to take it only to be met by a defiant Outteridge diving way down to his right and making an excellent save, but the FF lad got there before any of our defenders and blasted home at the second attempt – 7-4 to us and 56 minutes played.

Again the boys took hold of the game, didn’t let the ref’s decisions get to them, and carried on playing well, keeping the ball in the right areas. When they lost possession the boys were quick to close down and win the ball back, and it was in the 68th minute that Sanford gave the ball out to Summersby who played it back through the middle of the park to Hunn, who laid it off to Devito, who tried his luck again from range with the same outcome. A goal, and his 4th of the game made it 8-4.

From the kick off the boys won the ball back but just as easily lost it again. A weak pass saw FF slip their striker in as he rushed towards our goal only to be denied by a fantastic challenge from Muttett, preventing the shot on goal only to again have a penalty awarded against him. The referee had clearly lost full control of the game. His decision making from start to finish was appalling and probably the worst we’ve seen to date. FF took their penalty well this time not giving Outteridge a chance, 70 minutes 8-5.

The boys, dissapointed with the last few decisions the ref had made, didn’t let it spoil their good 2nd half performance and quickly knocked the ball around well at the back, through the defence and into midfield, and it was really pleasing to see this in the last minute of the match as it’s something we’ve been working on hard with the boys in training that hadn’t fully come off yet. But in the 71st minute Jolly made a tackle in the centre of the park, played a nice one-two, with Sanford and split a midfielder and the two centre-backs with a ball along the floor, perfectly weighted for Devito to rush onto and whip-in first time for his 5th of the game and Erith’s 9th.

FT – Football Focus 5-9 Erith Town

Devito 3’ 43, 46, 68, 71,
Sanford 39, 41, 44,
Lewis 55

The boys second-half display should prove to them that they are good enough, and can really turn their season around if they continue to apply themselves the way they did today. Into the Quarter Finals they march with no doubt tougher opposition to come…

#UpTheDockers! #WeGoAgain #OnlyTogetherweRise #NeverGiveUp #PlayForEachOther #BelieveInYourself

Match Report | Welling United 6 Erith Town 0

24/11/2019 – Kent Youth League

Today the boys travelled down into Kent and Kings Hill to play Welling Utd in the league. Struggling today slightly with a keeper who had been ill all week, a few lads carrying injuries, plus a debut being made at centre half by Louie Wood who we had signed earlier in the week, we knew we would be in for a tough ride against a good footballing Welling side.

The game kicked-off and Welling were immediately on the attack. Some neat play exposed us straight away down our left and a strong cross, met sweetly by the Utd striker, brought Outteridge diving down to his right, colliding with the post but keeping hold of the ball with an immense save to keep us in the game.

Whilst the play was fairly even, they kept hold of the ball better than us, and moved well on and off the ball, which saw them score twice before half time in the 18th & 32nd minute.

HT – Welling Utd 2-0 Erith Town

The boys gamely came out for the second half but we were beset by injuries – Jolly(Foot), Muttett (Calf), Sanford (Hamstring), and Devito (Achilles) – so seeing the match out became a constant battle. Keeping-up was an uphill struggle that saw Welling go on to score four more times in the 49th, 61st, 68th, and 72nd minute, eventually running out 6-0 as deserved winners.

FT – Welling Utd 6-0 Erith Town

Next week sees a break from the league as the boys travel to North London to compete against Focus Football in the next round of the London cup.

#UpTheDockers! #WeGoAgain #OnlyTogetherweRise

Match Report | Phoenix Sports 1 Erith Town 2

17/11/2019 – Kent Youth League

Today saw us away again – the seventh time this season – playing our friends and neighbours Phoenix Sports in a league match, and the lads were looking to turn around their poor run of results away from home and to build on last week’s great result in the London Cup.

On what can only be described as an atrocious pitch (which was obviously the same for both teams) the game got under way with Erith Town starting the better of the 2 teams. Going down hill, the boys were trying to play football the right way but were being hindered by the lumpiness of the pitch. Even so they tried hard to move the ball around and it only took until the fourth minute for us to earn our second corner of the game and our first goal. The corner was swung in by Maloney and seemed to miss quite a few players before being knocked down to the penalty spot where the onrushing Freddie Jolly smashed it into the roof of the net to put The Dockers ahead 1-0.

The rest of the half saw a lot of scrappy football in fairness, with the ball not always being played on the floor, but we were still getting shots away from the likes of Lewis, Sanford, Sanderson and Devito and despite no real luck in front of goal we still ended the half ahead.

HT – Phoenix Sports 0-1 Erith Town

Subs on: Ford, Summersby

The second half started much more positively as we looked to attack uphill. We used the ball a lot better with some neat patterns of play, Cordaroy and Douglas were getting a lot more joy when overlapping the midfield and putting crosses in, but it didn’t seem like it was going to be our day, with Devito shooting marginally wide on one occasion and directly at the keeper on another, coupled with Sanderson hitting the post and Summersby not quite getting full purchase on a couple of shots.

After being camped in Phoenix’s half from the second half kick-off, it took until the 56th minute for The Dockers to get the breakthrough. After yet another shot was blocked by Phoenix, the resulting corner was delivered into the box, away from the Phoenix keeper, for Jolly to power home a header and secure his brace and put Erith two nil up.

There was a lot of good individual skill on show, with boys going on mazey runs and some neat 180 turns in the middle of the park, but it was here that the game turned a little.

After many spurned chances, Phoenix were still plugging away and trying their hardest to get back into the game. Muttett allowed the centre forward to turn him and get away quickly but he recovered quickly, somehow managing to make up the ground to put in an impressive tackle just outside the box only for the referee to see it as a foul and award a free kick to Phoenix. The in-swinging ball caused all sorts of trouble for the Erith defence but they managed to clear their lines and get back out as a unit.

Another ball over the top of our defence caught the boys a little cold but Outteridge, who in fairness hadn’t had a lot to do in the game, was out quick to smother the ball. Unfortunately however, the referee decided that he was holding onto the ball too long and gave Phoenix an indirect free kick for time wasting.

Phoenix made it count, and with only the faintest of touches the Phoenix midfielder hit a rising ball into the back of the Erith Town net to make it 2-1 in the 65th minute.

The boys had now put so much pressure on themselves that they started to look a little nervous with Phoenix attacking at will, but a lot of good, dogged defending from Douglas, Muttett and a towering header from Jolly, who was caught high with a knee, managed to keep the score line at 2-1.

On 78 minutes the referee blew his whistle to signal the end of a huge game and the first – well deserved – 3 points of the season for this group of boys.

FT – Phoenix Sports 1-2 Erith Town (Jolly 4, 56)


Season Update – 15/11/2019

So today saw Erith Town FC U13s play their first home game of this season’s campaign, one which started way back on the 8th September.

It’s been a tough few months for the boys. They’ve had to adjust to 11-a-side from 9-a-side, stepping into the Kent Youth League in the North Division – a super strong division and a league that is widely regarded as the best around at this level – and the challenge was maybe slightly underestimated by all of us, players and staff alike, but what better way to challenge ourselves in terms of development.

It’s been a challenge to bring boys in this year, and not only have we struggled to recruit, we’ve had to deal with the loss of Allen, Trathen and Navikas as well. This, coupled with a lot of injuries early on, has seen us slip to some heavy defeats where we have barely had the numbers to put on the pitch. While the effects of this can be seen in some of the scorelines posted below, it just doesn’t do justice to the hard work and incredible effort the boys have put into each game. We have been unlucky in some matches and the boys have just run out of steam against good rotated 16-boy squads week-in, week-out in others.

Fixtures/Results To Date:

03/11/2019HBed Head YouthP-P
27/10/2019HWelling UnitedP-P
20/10/2019AGravesham Borough5-1
13/10/2019ARed Devils2-1
06/10/2019ADulwich VillageP-P
29/09/2019ACray Wanderers9-0
22/09/2019AMaidstone (LC)7-0
15/09/2019AErith & Belvedere6-0

Whilst we’ve been losing boys left, right and centre, we have been scouring local football matches for many weekends now to find new boys that may be good enough to make the step up in level – even if they are unsure – but at the same time they have to be the right boys and we have to be patient around getting them in.

The first signing we made on our way to rebuilding this much depleted side was Ronnie Sanderson who I’ve known for many years, and we were keen to get him in when we knew he was available. But as much as Ronnie brings to the side we still needed to add more. We’ve signed more than 16 players to the team already this season, and while Ronnie coming in brings us back up to 12, it just shows how we lost boys very quickly in such a short space of time.

Ronnie’s first game was a bit of a baptism of fire, going straight in against a team I know extremely well in Maidstone United, at the Gallagher Stadium in the 1st round of the league cup. Maidstone have had a settled side for 4-5 years now and have only added 1 player in the last 2 years which shows their stability and why they are one of the best around. Not only that but the pitch was huge and we only had 12 boys again, with 2 playing with mind-boggling injuries.

We then went a few more games, only narrowly missing out against Red Devil’s despite having chances to secure all the points that day, and then again against Gravesham Borough. We had four boys enquire about joining off the back of the advertising for players we’ve done. They were subsequently invited for trials with the team, but unfortunately they weren’t quite at the level we need when playing to this standard and so they were released shortly after.

Luckily, by chance we ended up with a former player of mine from two seasons ago coming back in to train. He was a good player when he left us to try out another sport and he seems to have come back a better player! For someone who hadn’t played too much football in his year out, it was a no brainer for me to get him back in with us as we know what he brings to us as a team, so we welcome back to Chase Cordaroy – and his family!

During a two game postponement due to weather and pitch conditions we had another couple of lads contact us who were playing at a level about three divisions lower than we are currently playing, but they were invited into training so we could look at them more closely and both were excellent on the night. I broke a rule of my own by offering one lad a place in the team after watching him in one game and one training session and I am so glad I did. Welcome to Erith Town FC Harry Devito and your family. This now takes us to a strong 14 boys.

We still have some lads to look at over the coming weeks but hopefully things are starting to turn a corner for the boys that have worked so hard and stuck with it through a bad few months, now hopefully they will start to get their rewards.

Match Report | Erith Town 6 Bed Head Youth 2

10/11/2019 – London Cup Round Two

Remberance Sunday, impeccably observed

After an impeccably observed two-minute silence the boys kicked off their first home game of the season and it wasn’t long before Erith were 1-0 up and Evans had the 1st goal at the home stadium, slotting neatly down to the keepers right on 3 minutes after a well weighted pass from Luca Sanford. However, despite some good play the boys were just not quite getting their passes together and Bed Head started to grow into the game with some neat passing football, and on 15 minutes, a goal kick and a little bit of miscommunication let Bed Head nick an equaliser to make it 1-1.

The boys looked a little panicked from the resulting kick-off, and probably suffering from a little lack in confidence through previous results, but Hunn played a pass down the left wing which Summersby latched onto, driving towards the line before crossing the ball for the in-rushing Sanderson to take a touch right and place the ball into the corner again on 27 mins – 2-1 to Erith Town. There were chances at either end for both sides just before half time with Evans popping up again for a Erith with a header that he could only guide onto the post, but The Dockers went into the break with their lead intact.

HT – Erith Town 2-1 Bed Head Youth

Subs on:
Cordaroy (Debut)
Devito (Debut)

We kicked off the second half and the subs that had come on bought a little more freshness to the side. We had a couple of small attacks where Devito was causing the Bed Head back four all sorts of problems but it was Bed Head that scored next on 39 minutes when failure to clear their lines far enough resulted in the ball dropping nicely to their midfielder who hit a stunning strike from all of 22 yds that Outteridge had no chance of getting to and we were back to 2-2. This time though, the lads were quick to get going again with Lewis feeding a ball into Devito who bullied his way past the left back and crossed the ball across the face of goal past the keeper for Evans to meet with a slide putting the ball in the back of the net on 41 mins to put us ahead again 3-2 and for him to get his brace.

From the kick off the boys again looked a little nervous and it was Bed Head that probably had slightly the better of the play just for the next 10 minutes but some excellent defending individually and collectively from Cordaroy, Jolly, Muttett and Douglas and a couple of good saves from Outteridge kept the scoreline intact. Once the storm was weathered it was all Erith and there were some great passages of play and some neat passing which would see us through this the end and showed the boys growing in their own belief and confidence. Devito and Evans were now becoming a constant threat up front with the midfield working hard backwards and forwards and this would set us up for an exciting finish.

A neat passage of play between Lewis, Sanford and Sanderson put Devito through who side stepped the out rushing keeper and cooly placed home for his debut goal on 56 minutes and to put us up 4-2. Erith were now looking much the better side and were confidently knocking the ball about as I know that can and it was Devito again on 66 minutes that fired the ball home through a packed penalty area on 62 minutes for Erith’s 5th of the day and a debut brace for Devito.

There was an incident on 66 minutes which would see Evans leave the field on a red card for retaliation. The referee hadn’t seen the whole incident and acted on what he did see – and rightly so – but this took Erith down to 10 men for the remaining 6-7 minutes with stoppages, but it didn’t stop them in their tracks as there was still time for Sanderson to slot home a cool finish just inside the box on 71 minutes again seeing the 3rd brace of the game and Erith Town running out comfortable winners in the end.

FT – Erith Town 6-2 Bed Head Youth

It was nice to see all the boys come off with smiles on their faces for the first time this season. They deserved, and were well worthy of, their win today where all the boys played their part. Myself and Rich won’t be letting the boys get ahead of themselves, this is a total rebuild of a team and we will be back in, working hard in training, on Wednesday this week, preparing ourselves for our away fixture to our good friends at Phoenix Sports where we will be looking (as will they) to get our first points on the board in the league as we continue to build on this week’s win.

#UpTheDockers! #weareERITH #onlytogetherwerise #thefallen #thebrave #rememberancesunday